Tuesday 27 July 2010

Topic Approach week 2-

Last week, we covered several Musical Composers, and this week Brid is looking at rivers of the world.
 I wrote a lesson plan, last year and I just tweak it to suit our needs. I chose to look at rivers, because there can be so much that can be discovered about the surrounding countries and landscape.
Firstly, I ask Brid to identify where the river is and support this by adding the longitude and latitude, and landmarks. This gives us the opportunity to discuss map referencing.
I then ask her to look at the townships and cities on the river and ask her why they were established there. Now sometimes, I need to help with this one, but she is learning to identify the reasons. So the question then arises what is this rivers' main purpose, and who are the people of this area, particularly for rivers like the Congo and the Amazon.
She then finds the length of the river, and discovers does it cross states, countries and if so which ones.
Where is the source and where does the river flow to. We use google earth to look along the river. Some are fascinating.
We are loving this approach to our school day.
Once we have covered the main rivers of the world, we will journey to looking at people of the world in greater depth. This will merge with history at times as well.

3 comments:

Erin said...

Leanne
So glad Brid is enjoying this approach:)

I encourage you to download the globalmania link I shared at 4real. one of the games had you learning about rivers
http://www.ilike2learn.com/ilike2learn.com/geography.asp

Leanne said...

Hi Erin,
I downloaded it, once I read your thread on 4 real. looks good from what I saw. I love geography as you might have guessed.

Judy Dudich said...

I just love the way your family learns Leanne!
I have tagged you in a "prayer" meme on my blog:
http://thankfulwoman.blogspot.com/
Please come take a look!
Thanks!