Tuesday 11 November 2008

Rememberance Day










Today we as a nation celebrate 90 years since the end of WWI. While we didn't brave the services at the memorial locations in our city, we did mark this day with reading about our great War Veterans, and there slogs. We did several activities and made poppies. We stood still for 2 minutes at 11am and discussed the role these men and women played in shaping our world.


My 2 great Uncles and 1 Aunt served in WWII. One in Japan, One in New Guinea, and one Darwin Base awaiting the troops. It is glorified by family, but there is nothing glorious about War. Just Remembering. Lest we Forget.

I remember how moving the ceremonies were at school, and how they touched my heart. I pray they touch each of us, so we can live in peace.
After writing this post, I watched an ABC-1 docum., on WWI and our soldiers involvement. Again I was touched by our troops courage and bravery. The way the diggers got in and got the job done, the way they fought for commemoration statues afterwards. The way they fought to remember there dead diggers. Brilliant show.
We need to keep honouring our war Veterans and show respect for what they did. I couldn't do it, and I'm sure it wasn't easy.

3 comments:

Elena said...

Lest We Forget....

Hi, I have your blog saved in my favourites and I do pop in at times to read the stories here - You have a beautiful blog.

Recently I was given an award - Premio Dardos - for my blog Precious Treasures and part of that award is to pass it on to other blogs. I have listed your blog as one of them. This is my first and I'd love to pass it on to your blog too if you're happy to accept it.
God Bless,
Elena
ps - is that a large print of Our Lady of the Southern Cross? If so, where did you purchase it - I would love to get one.

Leanne said...

Hi Elana, I would love to accept it.What an honour.
The prnt was free in the Catholic weekly just after WYD08. She is just beautiful, thank you. God Bless you.

Elena said...

Thank you Leanne, I've found the print online at Catholic Weekly. It's not free but I'm happy to get one so I've already ordered it.